Since 2011 started, I have been terrible at my morning workouts. I have a lot of excuses, both valid and invalid. Each week, I say that this one will be different, but usually it falls apart somewhere along the line. All excuses aside, I made it to the gym this morning and kicked my own butt for the first time in a long time. There is something more fulfilling about giving yourself a killer workout. It’s accomplishment on so many levels: I am going to be so sore tomorrow! I can design some killer workouts! Yes, I have the motivation to get it done! I feel energized and accomplished before the day started. And on…
If working out was easy, then there wouldn’t be so many people talking about how to get it done. Most of the world cannot seem to figure out how to make this a regular part of their life. It is not only work during the activity itself, but also in maintaining it. Working out takes more refreshment than a marriage. I am constantly advocating changing it up in all ways- get new clothes, find a new playlist, change gyms, hire a trainer, take a new class, find a partner, try a different style, etc.
So today is your day off. I’m donating today’s workout to you so that you can try a few new things and take the day off.
- 10 minute treadmill warm-up, light jog
- Upper body circuit, 15-20 reps three sets each, no rest. Bent-over kettlebell (dumbbell) row, pushups (one hand on the BOSU, switch), reverse flies
- 10 minute run, increase speed.
- Lower body circuit, 15 reps, three sets each, no rest. Leg extensions, Dead lifts, single leg squats
- 10 minute run, jog 2 minutes, sprint 3 minutes, run 5 minutes
- Core workout, 15 reps, 3 sets each, no rest. Pikes w/ feet on a stability ball, kettlebell twists (sit on floor, knees bent, feet off floor, twist side to side), 1 minute plank.
This workout should take you just over an hour, keeping your heart rate up, burning fat and calories, and building strength!
And just for a little extra incentive, I have included some of my favorites from my playlist:
- Green Light… John Legend
- Rock That Body… Black Eyed Peas
- What a Feeling… Peter Luts and Dominico
- Raise Your Glass… P!nk
- Is it Any Wonder… Keane (Tall Paul Remix)
- Faster Kill Pussycat… Paul Oakenfold
- Uprising… Muse
- Strict Machine… Goldfrapp
- Dog Days are Over… Florence and the Machine
- Easy Love… MSTRKRFT
- The Way I am… Ingrid Michaelson