Everyday people are asking me more about mindfulness. What is it? Is it some sort of meditation stuff? How do you do it? Mindfulness is essentially being aware in the present moment without judgement. It is a way to practice patience and trust with yourself and others. Mindfulness works towards acceptance by encouraging a non-striving attitude and letting-go mentality. And you can do it anywhere! Here are five simple steps for practicing mindfulness:
- When possible, do just one thing at a time.
- Pay full attention to what you are doing. When you’re driving, drive; eating, eat; talking with a friend, listen.
- When your mind wanders from what you are doing, notice it, and gently nudge it back.
- Repeat Step 3 a billion times a day
- Investigate your distractions.