Right around my 29th birthday, I was completely inspired when a close friend of mine created her 30 before 30 list. I loved the idea, the principle, the small goals. I felt beyond privileged that I was included in not 1, but 2 items of her list. 30 is an important year for most, but I think especially for professional women. I have thought often about what I would want to accomplish in my next year.
I could never get my list right for me. There weren’t items that were achievable, within my control, fun, inspirational, reflective of me… My list was lame. It included things like: get married, open Blissful Mind Wellness, travel more… yeah that was about it.
You see, I was always able to balance out the things I hadn’t achieved with the things that I had achieved. For instance: I thought that I would be married by 30 but I didn’t think that I would own a house by 23; I thought that I would be further along in my career but I didn’t know that the economy would tank; I miss traveling and wished I had discovered more places but I took my flight benefits for granted when I had them.
I had often reflected on my friend’s list: make an unexpected gift for a friend (which she did for me) and let someone pick a book for me to read (which I did for her). However, I could never do any of those. EVER. I have zero creative ability, and I am VERY particular about what I read. No chiclit for this mama.
As the big 3-0 approaches, I have suddenly become more sentimental about it, more nostalgic. What represents me? What do I want to do in my final Summer before 30. And suddenly the ideas have been streaming in.
My list is not the urgent rush to accomplish everything that I thought that I would do before 30 (which were my initial plans for a 30 before 30). My list is not a random checklist (which I thought I would need in order to create a 30 before 30). My list is a compilation of: 1) things that are relevant to my life now 2) things that I feel are inappropriate or less appropriate to do beyond 30, and 3) Things that I want to carry into my 30’s and beyond. So, here goes it. My list. My 30 before 30 in just over 90 days. I am gonna need your support!
- Learn to surf
- Send a hand written letter to my favorite people just to tell them so
- A girls night out of dancing with reckless abandon
Go skinny dipping Become a certified yogi
- Climb a tree
Paint something, like a picture, and accept it when (or if) it’s terrible (are you feeling my lack of creativity yet) Go camping
- Learn a healthy(ish) and amazing peanut butter cookie recipe
- Keep a bottle of bubbly in the house at all times, celebrate, and repeat
Have a throwback girls’ slumber party (think Girl Talk— complete with zit stickers— mixed with Boones Farm but WAY cooler)
- Run an 8 minute mile
- Throw a tacky theme party– preferably a So You Think You Can Dance Finale Party
- Say hello to each one of my friends on Facebook (curently at 467)… and if I don’t want to, delete em
- Open Blissful Mind Wellness (the center)
- Go to a water park or theme park
- Make out in a car, a movie, a dressing room or someplace inappropriate (with my handsome fiance, of course)
Run through the sprinklers
- Create prayer space, whether it be physical space in my house or designated space in time
- Take a shot or two at a bar with friends during the day
- Buy a pair of INCREDIBLE shoes
- Attend one of my favorite concerts. Sing during the whole thing
- Do the splits
And a back walkover
- Purchase lingerie that embraces my gorgeous & natural curvature at 30
- Read a ridiculously long classic, like Gone with the Wind or Atlas Shrugged
- Find a penpal or Twitter friend from France (my roots that I have suddenly felt most connected to)… if only I could go visit
- Write my fiance a love letter
- Drink an amazing bottle of expensive wine
- Get a tattoo… It’s now or never, but this is a big maybe!